Recipe by jmelyn
One of my favorite dinners to throw together after a busy day at work. Very easy. I think I got this from Good Housekeeping. Prep/cook time is approximate.
- 1 lb fusilli
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed with press
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (29 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2 (6 ounce) bags Baby Spinach
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta as label directs.
- Meanwhile, in 12 inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook, covered for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in garlic and oregano and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in beans, vinegar, salt and pepper; cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- When pasta has cooked to desired doneness, remove 1 cup cooking water and reserve.
- Drain pasta; return to saucepot.
- Add spinach, bean mixture and reserved cooking water; toss gently to combine.
- Notes: I usually use the large corkscrew pasta istead of fusilli.
- Actually, I've made it with several kinds of pasta--whatever I have on hand.
- Even egg noodles worked fine.
- Strangely, fusilli was my least favorite pasta to make this with.
- Also, I use the chopped garlic that comes in a jar.
- And thawed, frozen spinach works fine--you'll need much less of the reserved water.