Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This quick pasta dish bursts with flavor. Be careful no to over reduce the vinegar or it will become bitter.
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb asparagus
- 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced (1 1/2c)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup grated romano cheese
- Bring 4 qt water to boil adding salt and pasta. Cook al dente. Drain and return to pot.
- Right before putting pasta in boiling water bring balsamic vinegar to boil in 8 in skillet over med heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer slowly until syrupy and reduced to 1/4 c 15-20 minutes.
- While pasta is cooking and balsamic is reducing heat 2 tbsp oil in 12 in skillet over high heat until beginning to smoke.
- Cut asparagus in 1 in lengths discarding the bottom 1 inch.
- Add asparagus onion black and red pepper 1/2 tsp salt and stir to combine.
- Cook without stirring until asparagus begins to brown about 1 minute then stir and continue cooking.
- Stir occasionally until asparagus is tender-crisp about 4 min longer.
- Add asparagus, basil, lemon juice, 1/2 Romano,and remaining 3 tbsp oil to pasta in stockpot toss to combine.
- Serve immediately, drizzling 1-2 tsp balsamic glaze over individual servings and sprinkle cheese accordingly.
I really loved this but my husband didn't care for it very much. I had lots left over so instead of making more balsamic syrup, I just drizzled my portions with balsamic right out of the bottle and my husband had his without. This makes a lovely side dish as well.
DH and I made this dish for lunch today. It had really nice flavor and came together quickly. Your note of caution in watching the balsamic reduction closely was warranted. We didn't and it quickly turned into an unuseable thick syrup. Tried it again, watching it closely, and it came out fine. Thanks for posting this. We will be making it again in the future. Made for ZWT4.