Recipe by Samantha in Ut
This quick pasta dish bursts with flavor. Be careful no to over reduce the vinegar or it will become bitter.
Top Review by Irmgard
I really loved this but my husband didn't care for it very much. I had lots left over so instead of making more balsamic syrup, I just drizzled my portions with balsamic right out of the bottle and my husband had his without. This makes a lovely side dish as well.
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb asparagus
- 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced (1 1/2c)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup grated romano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 4 qt water to boil adding salt and pasta. Cook al dente. Drain and return to pot.
- Right before putting pasta in boiling water bring balsamic vinegar to boil in 8 in skillet over med heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer slowly until syrupy and reduced to 1/4 c 15-20 minutes.
- While pasta is cooking and balsamic is reducing heat 2 tbsp oil in 12 in skillet over high heat until beginning to smoke.
- Cut asparagus in 1 in lengths discarding the bottom 1 inch.
- Add asparagus onion black and red pepper 1/2 tsp salt and stir to combine.
- Cook without stirring until asparagus begins to brown about 1 minute then stir and continue cooking.
- Stir occasionally until asparagus is tender-crisp about 4 min longer.
- Add asparagus, basil, lemon juice, 1/2 Romano,and remaining 3 tbsp oil to pasta in stockpot toss to combine.
- Serve immediately, drizzling 1-2 tsp balsamic glaze over individual servings and sprinkle cheese accordingly.