Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Very good! I got this from a Canadian cheese recipe booklet.
- 3 cups fusilli
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated canadian parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 cup shredded canadian mozzarella cheese
- 2 (19 ounce) cans Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 3 slices bread, crusts removed, torn into small bits
- chopped parsley
- Cook fusilli according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, melt 3 tbsp of the butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute until tender. Remove from heat.
- Blend in flour. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Add Canadian Parmesan and Mozzarella; stir until melted. Salt and pepper to taste. Stir in fusilli.
- Drain tomatoes (use juice for another recipe) and coarsely chop, if necessary. Spoon half the tomatoes into a 2-quart casserole. Top with half the fusilli mixture. Repeat layers.
- Melt remaining 2 tbsp butter and toss with bread; sprinkle over casserole. Top with parsley. Bake, uncovered, in 350F oven for 35 minutes or until bread is toasted and sauce is bubbly.
- For a change of taste use preshredded Canadian Italian-type Cheese Blend.