Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
This hearty sauce is Creole-French, and although this recipe places it over pasta, rice could work as well. It was always a good way to get my children to eat eggplant when they were little. Presented with a green salad and crusty garlic bread, it's also a meal that I can serve my vegetarian friends.
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion (sliced thinly)
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 small eggplant (unpeeled and diced)
- 1 medium zucchini (unpeeled and diced)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 4.92 ml sea salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 2.46 ml sugar
- 1.23 ml cajun spices
- 425.24 g can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 4.92 ml balsamic vinegar
- 44.37 ml water
- 340.19 g fusilli
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over med. heat.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 6 minutes.
- Add the eggplant, zucchini, garlic, salt, pepper, sugar, and Cajun spice.
- Reduce the heat to med-low; cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes, the vinegar, and the 3 tablespoons of water.
- Simmer, covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook the fusilli according the the package directions.
- When the fusilli is done, drain well and toss it into the ratatouille.
- Serve immediately while still hot.
We loved this - even my kids. The cajun spices and vinegar really set this recipe apart. We served it over polenta. Yum!
This was the perfect dish to make the most of the fresh veggies from my trip to the Farmer's Market this morning. I followed the recipe exactly and wouldn't change a thing.,,,,,except I chose to serve it over cheese grits, for a vegetarian version of one of our favorite shrimp dishes. This is a keeper!
OMG! This was so delicious and easy to make. The kids (I have 7 year old twins) and I made this for our dinner and a movie night. We made Ratatouille for the Ratatouille movie and even my sometimes picky eaters (when it comes to veggies, etc) loved it! We served it over pasta (b/c I thought that would look more appealing to them and they devoured it). Next time we will just eat it w bread alone. Thanks for an AWESOME and healthy recipe!