Recipe by Bakabeth
This is my favorite carbonara recipe! We used to make it when I was younger. I think it originally came from a Food and Wine cookbook? With the red wine and parsley it might not be totally traditional but it is so yummy!! I sometimes like to make roasted broccoli and cauliflower to serve on the side. A good additional is some chopped mushrooms, like some cremini chopped small. You can add them in with the bacon and cook together.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, cut into thin strips
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (use decent wine!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 lb fusilli (or any pasta of your choice. I also like this with capellini)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil and butter over medium heat in a small frying pan. Add the bacon and cook until brown but not crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, wine, and pepper. Simmer until the wine is reduced to 2 tbsp, about 3 minute Removed from the heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cheese, and salt.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta until just done.
- Drain the pasta, add it to the egg and cheese mixture IMMEDIATELY, and toss quickly. DO not rinse pasta first.
- Add the parsley and toss just until mixed. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with additional Parmesan and enjoy!