Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love funnel cakes plain with powdered sugar. I like them topped with fresh strawberries too! I got this from Southern Living magazine years and years ago.
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a bowl, beating until smooth.
- Heat 1/4 inch oil to 375°F in a skillet.
- Cover bottom opening of a funnel with finger.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter into funnel.
- Hold funnel over skillet.
- Remove finger from funnel end to release into hot oil; move in a slow, circular motion to form a spiral.
- Fry each funnel cake 1 minute or until edges are golden brown.
- Drain on absorbent paper towel.
- Repeat with remaining batter,
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve warm.
I just made this recipe and to me it didn't compare to the fair at all. It tasted more like fried pancakes than the funnel cakes of the fair. It is a great go to recipe for a quick dessert though, especially for homes with children.
Made these for breakfast. They were very easy! Only got three cakes out of these. The first one was really thick, (probably user error). I didn't have a funnel so I poured the batter into a zip lock bag and snipped off a corner. Worked well
try these with butter and syrup