Looking for something different to give as a "Gift in a Jar"? Why not Funnel Cake Mix? This is from "Gifts in a Jar For Kids" cookbook. Don't forget to attach a gift tag with the mixing and frying directions. (I would never allow a child to deep fry, but mixing the mix and sprinkling powdered sugar is fun!)
- FUNNEL CAKE MIX:.
- In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; stir until the mixture is well blended.
- Place mix in a wide- mouth 1 quart canning jar.
- Attach a gift tag with the mixing and frying directions.
- MIXING AND FRYING DIRECTIONS:.
- Pour vegetable oil into a skillet to a depth of 1 inch.
- Heat oil to 360°F over medium high heat.
- In a small bowl, combine egg and milk.
- Add 1 cup Funnel cake mix and beat with fork until smooth.
- Holding finger under funnel opening, pour about 1/4 cup batter into funnel.
- Allow batter to pour from funnel into hot oil, moving funnel in a circle to form a spiral shape.
- Fry 1 minute, turn cake over and continue frying until golden brown.
- Remove from heat to paper towel to drain.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.