Recipe by Giggles
I love to get funnel cakes at the fair, but a fair is not always in town. This recipe is very good and perfect for a quick snack for the kids.
Top Review by 5 Mule Team
Great recipe. Put it together in less than 15 minutes and it turned out great. I added some extra milk to make it runnier to flow through the funnel and added a pinch of cinnamon. Tastes just like at the carnival, just with less carny. :)
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- oil, for frying
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients.
- Beat egg, milk, and vanilla together in a separate bowl.
- Add milk mixture to dry ingredients beating until smooth.
- Fill 8" skillet with 1 inch oil and heat to 375 degrees.
- Cover funnel hole with finger and fill with about 1/4 cup of batter.
- Hold funnel over skillet and remove finger moving funnel around to form patterns with the batter.
- Fry until golden brown, about 1 or 2 minutes.
- Turn over with tongs and continue frying another minute or two or until both sides are brown.
- Remove from oil, drain on paper towels, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve hot.