Recipe by Sheepie87
I was checking out some recipes for lentil soup on Zaar but I just kept adding things to the pot. This is the result! I'm pretty sure it's vegtarian, anyway! The spices are VERY approximate, I just throw stuff in until it's to my liking.
- 1⁄2 lb lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 6 cups water
- 2 carrots
- 1⁄2 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 20 dashes black pepper (20 grinds)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- 2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce or 2 tablespoons louisiana hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Roughly chop the garlic, carrots, and onion.
- Heat a large saucepan and add olive oil.
- Heat the olive oil until it moves quickly across the pan.
- Add the garlic, carrots, onion, cayenne, bayleaf, salt, paprika, and thyme.
- Sauté for approximately five minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the lentils and give a good stir so that they are coated along with the veggies.
- Add 4 cups water, reserving the rest in case the soup becomes too thick.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for approximately 35 minutes.
- Take off the heat, and blend soup with an immersion blender or with a stand blender. (If using a countertop blender, blend in batches and be sure to vent the cover!).
- Adjust seasonings as needed.