Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I made this for RSC#7. It seems an odd combination, but it works. The sauce is an amazing creation, if I do say so myself.
- 1 (32 ounce) container plain yogurt
- 1 fresh vanilla bean, seeds removed, reserve bean for another use
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cantaloupe, rind removed & fruit cut up
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled & quartered
- 1 cup dates, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons bittersweet chocolate, grated
- Drain yogurt in cheesecloth lined colander for 2 hours. (Coffee filters work well, too). When drained, combine in a medium bowl with vanilla seeds & sugar. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Combine fruit in a large bowl.
- To serve, spoon yogurt over individual servings of fruit & grate chocolate over the top.
We totally enjoyed this for breakfast. I used all organic fruit and really enjoyed the flavor combination. I also used organic vanilla yogurt - which I think really made a difference along with the vanilla bean!! I added some shredded coconut to the tops along with the grated chocolate. We really thought this was an excellent breakfast!Thanks Bethie!
Quite good--though I think I wouls have preferred to flavor the salad with a touch of ouzo rather than the chocolate--I also added a bit of fresh minit.
This was pretty good, I was surprised that the dates would go well with the strawberries and cantaloupe. This RSC is definitely changing the way I see dates in recipes. I liked it much better without the chocolate garnish and since my strawberries were not very sweet, I think a bit of sugar or splenda on them first would have made it even better.