Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
The Next Food Network Star’s season four winner, Aaron McCargo, Jr.'s terrific recipe.
- canola oil, for frying
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 2 tablespoons granulated onion
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 (3 1/2 lb) whole chickens, cut into 10 pieces each and trimmed of fat
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large skillet, add canola oil over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, mix together all spices.
- Use 1/2 of mix to season chicken.
- Let seasoned chicken sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add flour and remaining seasoning mix.
- Toss chicken with seasoned flour and add to hot oil, 1 piece at a time.
- Cover pan with foil.
- Remove foil after 8 to 10 minutes and flip chicken.
- Cook until the chicken is golden brown.
- Remove from fryer to a paper towel-lined sheet tray.
- Season with salt, if desired, and serve.