Recipe by ladypit
This recipe is an adaptation of one I found in Zonya Foco's "Lickety Split Meals". I took her concept and added and removed some things, but I was really happy with the end result. (It's a great cookbook by the way!) I used refined brown sugar because I was out of sucanat (unrefined sugar). When I make these next I will use sucanat. When my picky 5 year old ("Can we please have white stuff mom? All the wheat stuff isn't as good!") asked for another I turned to my husband and pronounced "This is a keeper!" This yields about 24 regular muffins or about double that if you make mini muffins. (I made half regular half mini.)
Top Review by Elmotoo
These are wonderful!! Just right which is sometimes difficult w/out fat. I didn't have unsweetened applesauce so I cut back the brown sugar to 1/3c. No pastry flour or white bean flour so I used 2 1/2c whole wheat flour & 1/2c soy flour. And here I thought I had a well stocked pantry, lol. They came out delicious. Thank you, ladypit!
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 2 cups mashed bananas
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup white bean flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the brown sugar, egg whites, and vanilla. Make sure they are well mixed.
- Add the mashed banana. (I freeze bananas and then let them defrost so they are all mushy!) Mix well.
- Add the applesauce and mix well.
- In another bowl, mix the flours, the baking soda, and the salt until all is mixed up.
- Stir the flour mixture into the bananas. Stirring until well mixed, but just until mixed.
- Make sure your muffin tins are sprayed with cooking spray.
- Add the batter to your tins and place in the oven.
- Cook for about 20 minutes, checking at 18 minutes. You are looking for a toothpick inserted in the center to come out clean. If you make mini muffins they may take less time.