Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1⁄2 ounce unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 low-sodium bouillon cube
- 10 fluid ounces hot water
- 2 tablespoons cornflour or 2 tablespoons bisto, blended with a little cold water
- salt and black pepper, to season
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
- Add the onion and mushrooms and fry gently until they are very well browned.
- Dissolve the stock cube in the hot water and add to the saucepan.
- Add the blended cornflour or Bisto and heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth.
Another 5 star "star recipe". I did use a vegetable cube due to a vegetarian daughter, and threw in a few more mushrooms-we had this for the gravy portion of "fries and Gravy" for Canada Day. This would be excellent for a baked or twice baked potato topping.
Very tasty and easy to make. I added thyme and served this over meatloaf and mashed potatoes....yum!!
I referred to this recipe to serve with the meatloaf 33921. While I barely followed this recipe I felt it required a review. I had a tiny bit of some onion. garlic and celery and concentrated chick stock left in the pan from the meatloaf in which I fried the mushroom, then added red wine. more chicken stock, salt and pepper and instead of the cornflour I used arrowroot as directed.