Recipe by Lubie
I'm not sure where they get their name, but they sure are tasty! (and they don't have to be served at funerals either!!)
Top Review by la-rojita
My mom used to make this for us- so I loved it! I made a few minor adjustments...I used a mix of Monterrey Jack and Cheddar cheeses instead of longhorn as was recommended. I also used more like 3 cups of corn flakes and extra butter to make the topping (cause the crunchy top is the best part). I also used the frozen bagged hash browns with onions and peppers already in it since that is what I had on hand and it didn't really affect the flavor. Will make over and over and over again!!!
- 2 lbs hash browns
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups longhorn cheese, grated, firmly packed
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn flakes, crushed
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter until translucent.
- Mix all ingredients, except cornflakes and 4 tablespoons butter, together.
- Put potato mixture into a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Combine cornflakes and butter, and sprinkle evenly over top of casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-50 minutes or until heated and bubbly.