Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Long ago, this recipe was taken to church funerals to feed large crowds. Today, this tangy bean mixture is still pleasing crowds no matter what the occasion. They are great with BBQ or ham. I like to double the batch and make them in in a crockpot.
- Cook bacon, saving 1 T. Bacon fat. Crumble bacon; set aside.
- In reserved bacon fat, sauté diced onion about 5 minutes over low-medium heat until softened.
- Drain and rinse all beans except Pork and Beans, which are used along with their liquid. In a large bowl, gently mix beans and all remaining ingredients. There should be plenty of liquid - you can add 1/4 cup more cider vinegar if needed.
- Pour into a deep casserole, sprayed with Pam.
- Bake 350 for 2 hours, uncovered.
- Alternatively, make a double batch in a crockpot and cook on low 6 hours.