Chef Cristobal's Note:
Funchi, the Antillean staple, is a simple corn-meal preparation.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix in a heavy saucepan the cold water, cornmeal and salt.
- 2Stir in the boiling water and the tablespoon of butter.
- 3Bring to a brisk boil over high heat and cook for three minutes.
- 4Continue cooking an additional three minutes, stirring the funchi vigorously with a wooden spoon or palu di funchi. When the mixture is very stiff and pulls away from the sides of the pan, remove from the fire. Turn out into a deep, well-buttered bowl and cover with a plate. Now shake the funchi down in the bowl, then invert it on a serving platter.
- 5For a special Sunday breakfast fry sliced funchi in butter and serve with crisp bacon and scrambled eggs.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Funchi (Corn-Meal Mush)
Serving Size: 1 (142 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 127.3
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 5.0 mg
- Sodium 414.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 2.5 g