Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A different kind of chili that tastes great! Very mild if you follow the recipe exactly, so you may want to spice it up by adding additional hot sauce, chili powder and/or cayenne pepper. Got this from a magazine of freezer recipes, so yes, this freezes well. Just thaw it before reheating.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons louisiana style hot sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream, garnish
- 1⁄2 cup crushed tortilla chips, garnish
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, garnish
- In a dutch oven over medium heat, cook the beef, onion and green pepper until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the water, tomato sauce, beans, cocoa, hot sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- To serve immediately, garnish each serving with 1 Tablespoon each of sour cream, crushed chips and cheese.
- To freeze, cool chili and transfer to freezer containers. Freeze up to 3 months.