Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
This rice is the perfect side dish for people who need a rice recipe with full of flavor.
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice
- 1 garlic clove
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Place rice in a large bowl and cover with very hot tap water. Let stand 10-15 minutes. Then rub and squeeze rice with your fingers until the water is cloudy. Drain the rice in a strainer. Cover it with cold water. Rub and squeeze rice again, then drain. Repeat the cold water and draining process once more or as many times as it takes to get the water fairly clear. Drain the rice thoroughly and spread it on a platter to dry. You can use rice while it is still wet, but there is danger of spattering hot oil when wet rice is added to the skillet. Rice usually takes 1 hour or more to dry.
- Mash garlic with salt to make a paste. Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add rice. Cook and stir over medium heat until lightly browned. Add onion and garlic paste. Cook and stir until onion is tender. Stir in tomato sauce and chicken broth.
- Cook and simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed. Reduce heat to very low and steam 30-45 minutes until rice is tender.