Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A recipe from Ricardo that is popular with kids. So I had to try it. My son is beginning kindergarten tomorrow and I wanted to do something he'll like. And this recipe is a winner with it. With us also. It's so easy to do.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk, warm
- 2 cups macaroni (or other small pasta)
- 1⁄2 cup Cheez Whiz
- 1⁄2 cup orange cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (I omitted it because he doesn't like when it's spicy)
- salt (also omitted)
- In a medium saucepan, soften the onion in butter. Add flour and stir 1 minute. Add warm milk. Stir until the mixture has thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook pasta in a large quantity of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain pasta and add to the sauce.
- Add all cheeses, paprika, cayenne pepper and salt. Stir until cheese has melted.
We really liked this. I nearly browned the onion because I was busy doing other stuff. I loved the way the onion flavor went throughout. I subbed in some velveeta cause I didn't have Cheeze Whiz. I also added some mild garlic with the onion, it ended up with a much more sophisticated flavor.
Mac and Cheese is one of my all-time favorite foods. If I ever had to choose a last meal, mac and cheese would definitely be on the menu. That said, the onion, paprika and cayenne made this a more savory mac and cheese. Not quite as cheesey tasting, but very creamy and good if you are in the mood for a savory dish. Very easy to make and is great for a week night meal. Leftovers were just as good after reheating in the microwave. Made for Fall PAC 2012.
I love Macaroni and Cheese so had to try this one with the onions and different cheeses. I made 1/2 of the recipe and also omitted the cayenne pepper, but think I would add a shake next time. Using the mozzarella and the Cheese Whiz made for a nice and creamy version. But after tasting it, while still on the stove, it wasn't a strong enough flavor, so I added more of the cheddar cheese and made it suit my tastes. I then sprinkled the top with the paprika and loved that added smokey flavor and the addition of the onions. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for PRMR Tag Game.