Recipe by Mirj
I've eaten this dish, but have never cooked it. Posted in response to a recipe request.
Top Review by Maya's Mama
try this recipe with some freshly chopped parsley and 2 diced tomatos. the parsley and tomatos should not be cooked by served cold as a garnish. they go really well with this dish.
- 1 lb small egyptian dried fava beans, soaked overnight
- 3 lemons, juice of
- 1 head garlic, halved
- 1 bunch scallion, trimmed
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the beans and place in a large saucepan.
- Add 7 cups of water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the juice of 1 lemon, the garlic and the salt.
- Cover and simmer over low heat (the beans will retain their shape only if cooked slowly) until the beans are soft-- moist but not soupy-- about 12 hours.
- You should do this ideally in the crock pot.
- Check occasionally and add water if the beans become dry.
- Twenty minutes before serving, chop the scallions and combine with the remaining lemon juice.
- Stir in the oil, season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Discard the garlic and gently stir the lemon mixture into the beans.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Spoon into bowls, mash slightly.
- Serve warm with pita bread.