Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 hrs
I've eaten this dish, but have never cooked it. Posted in response to a recipe request.
Make and share this Ful Medames recipe from Food.com.
- Drain the beans and place in a large saucepan.
- Add 7 cups of water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the juice of 1 lemon, the garlic and the salt.
- Cover and simmer over low heat (the beans will retain their shape only if cooked slowly) until the beans are soft-- moist but not soupy-- about 12 hours.
- You should do this ideally in the crock pot.
- Check occasionally and add water if the beans become dry.
- Twenty minutes before serving, chop the scallions and combine with the remaining lemon juice.
- Stir in the oil, season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Discard the garlic and gently stir the lemon mixture into the beans.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Spoon into bowls, mash slightly.
- Serve warm with pita bread.
try this recipe with some freshly chopped parsley and 2 diced tomatos. the parsley and tomatos should not be cooked by served cold as a garnish. they go really well with this dish.
The kids weren't totally enamoured with this but then again I wasn't expecting them to be. They still ate some though ;). I really liked this. It's simple and it works well in the crockpot. The lemon taste comes through really well. And like most good Middle Eastern food, the taste improves with time. Leftovers tasted even better.