12 hrs 5 mins
I've eaten this dish, but have never cooked it. Posted in response to a recipe request.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Drain the beans and place in a large saucepan.
- 2Add 7 cups of water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- 3Reduce the heat to low and add the juice of 1 lemon, the garlic and the salt.
- 4Cover and simmer over low heat (the beans will retain their shape only if cooked slowly) until the beans are soft-- moist but not soupy-- about 12 hours.
- 5You should do this ideally in the crock pot.
- 6Check occasionally and add water if the beans become dry.
- 7Twenty minutes before serving, chop the scallions and combine with the remaining lemon juice.
- 8Stir in the oil, season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- 9Discard the garlic and gently stir the lemon mixture into the beans.
- 10Adjust seasoning.
- 11Spoon into bowls, mash slightly.
- 12Serve warm with pita bread.
Nutritional Facts for Ful Medames
Serving Size: 1 (118 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 335.6
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 12.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.0 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 15.7 g