Recipe by evelyn/athens
A different-tasting pizza. Simple and very tasty. Plus I love onions on anything!
Top Review by love4culinary
This is absolutely fabulous. It was very time consuming, but it went very smoothly, and the ending result was WELL worth the wait. I love the onion on the bottom level because the flavor really comesout into the dough (in my opinion lol) and the oregano really adds a lot of OOMPh! :-) I WILL be making this again. Thats for sure!! thanks evelyn!!!
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup warm milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano (preferably Mediterranean)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle yeast with sugar over milk and water in a small bowl and proof until foamy, about 10-15 minutes.
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl, make a well in the center and add yeast mixture.
- Blend flour into yeast mixture and knead about 15 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Oil large bowl.
- Add dough, turning to coat.
- Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free area until double in size.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Oil 15 inch pizza pan.
- Roll dough out on lightly-floured surface to 13-14 inch round, ½ inch thick.
- Fit dough into pan.
- Spread with onion, leaving ½ inch border at edges.
- Cover onion with cheese and sprinkle with oregano, crumbling oregano between fingers.
- Bake until golden-brown, about 15-20 minutes.