Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
A different-tasting pizza. Simple and very tasty. Plus I love onions on anything!
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup warm milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano (preferably Mediterranean)
- Sprinkle yeast with sugar over milk and water in a small bowl and proof until foamy, about 10-15 minutes.
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl, make a well in the center and add yeast mixture.
- Blend flour into yeast mixture and knead about 15 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Oil large bowl.
- Add dough, turning to coat.
- Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free area until double in size.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Oil 15 inch pizza pan.
- Roll dough out on lightly-floured surface to 13-14 inch round, ½ inch thick.
- Fit dough into pan.
- Spread with onion, leaving ½ inch border at edges.
- Cover onion with cheese and sprinkle with oregano, crumbling oregano between fingers.
- Bake until golden-brown, about 15-20 minutes.
This is absolutely fabulous. It was very time consuming, but it went very smoothly, and the ending result was WELL worth the wait. I love the onion on the bottom level because the flavor really comesout into the dough (in my opinion lol) and the oregano really adds a lot of OOMPh! :-) I WILL be making this again. Thats for sure!! thanks evelyn!!!
Wonderful, soft and fluffy! I did find myself sprinkling a bit of sea salt on my third (ahem) piece - I think I will give Roosie's idea of adding sun dried tomatoes a try the next time. Thanks for the recipe Ev!
A 1000 times better than MY..........half-baked ideas. Made for Soups & Breads Recipe Tag.