Recipe by EmmyDuckie
My husband and I tried this at the Animal Kingdom Lodge at Disney world, which is an absolutely marvelous buffet of African food. We loved it. I tried to get the waiter to sneak me the recipe to no avail. But he would tell me the ingredients, so I had to work out the proportions myself. It's pretty close.
Top Review by Londonsbk
The ingredients are great together, just not in the proportions listed. I can see how some people might like it that heavy in spices, but not me. I will try this recipe again with the same amount of potatoes and butter, but change the spices to 1/3 teaspoon cinnamon, a solid pinch of cardamom and 1/8 cup sugar. I would not make this recipe as written, but it could end up being a nice change for the family with some work. Thanks for posting.
- 1 lb white potato, skinned
- 1 lb orange sweet potatoes, skinned
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cube and boil the potatoes until done (they'll be fork-tender).
- Drain very well; add butter.
- Mash by hand or in an electric mixer. You want them to get very smooth, and a little bit starchy.
- Stir in the spices and sugar.
- Enjoy with marinated grilled meat or vegetables.