Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A spicy black bean soup that is great on a chilly night, served with tortilla chips and cheese. A great variation from regular chili and easily modified to suit individual tastes. Can be a quick meal on the stove or changed to a crock-pot recipe.
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces, trimming gristle and fat as you dice.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil, onion, garlic and chicken over medium-low heat until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- While the chicken is cooking, rinse and drain the black beans. Transfer three handfuls of the beans to a pot. Add the chicken broth and add mash the beans with a potato masher.
- Add chicken, onions and garlic (don't drain the olive oil).
- Add the spices and stir well.
- Simmer, covered, over low heat, stirring occasionally. Alternatively, add to a crock-pot and warm over low heat for 2-3 hours.