Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A spicy black bean soup that is great on a chilly night, served with tortilla chips and cheese. A great variation from regular chili and easily modified to suit individual tastes. Can be a quick meal on the stove or changed to a crock-pot recipe.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces, trimming gristle and fat as you dice.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil, onion, garlic and chicken over medium-low heat until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- While the chicken is cooking, rinse and drain the black beans. Transfer three handfuls of the beans to a pot. Add the chicken broth and add mash the beans with a potato masher.
- Add chicken, onions and garlic (don't drain the olive oil).
- Add the spices and stir well.
- Simmer, covered, over low heat, stirring occasionally. Alternatively, add to a crock-pot and warm over low heat for 2-3 hours.