Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
These fudgy brownies are a delicious treat. One would have a hard time believing they are free of eggs, nuts and milk as well as inconspicuously laced with zucchini. In fact, this super sly zucchini is the key ingredient in these brownies. Please be aware that the batter will seem very dry. Do not worry about this because during the baking process, the grated zucchini will release just enough moisture to produce a moist and chewy brownie texture. Dedicated to my brother-in-law... :)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (corn oil or your preferred cooking oil)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded (lightly packed measuring cup)
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, sugar and vanilla until well blended.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, stirring just to combine.
- Fold in the zucchini and mix well.
- The batter will be very dry, but do not worry. The grated zucchini will release just enough moisture during the baking process to produce a moist and chewy brownie texture.
- Spread into the prepared pan, gently patting the mixture down.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until brownies spring back when gently pressed.
- Cool for 30 minutes to 1 hour or until brownies are easy to slice.