Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
These don't even need frosting!
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips, melted & cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease two 8x8 baking pans; set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda & salt.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, applesauce, oil, egg & vanilla; stir in melted chocolate. Add to dry ingredients; stir in zucchini and walnuts.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared pans & bake in preheated oven for about 35 minutes. Let cool. Frost if desired. Cut each pan into 9 brownies.
- * These brownies freeze well. Wrap uncut brownies in plastic wrap, then in foil. Label & freeze. When ready to use, thaw at room temperature, unwrap & enjoy!
These brownies were delicious! Sweet, fudgey, and everything a brownie should be. If no one told you zucchini was in this, you would never know. Easy to make too. My 23 yr old, who hates zucchini and never eats it, ate and enjoyed these! I like that the recipe makes two pans, one to eat and one to share or freeze. I brought the second pan to work, and got lots of compliments and a request for the recipe! Thank you, Mary! Btw, Mary is right, these do not need frosting!