Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
From VEGANOMICON! These are intensely fudgey and amazing! This was one of my first attempts at vegan baking, and I am quite proud of how these turned out.
- 2⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 10 ounces blueberry preserves (spreadable fruit, smooth, no whole blueberries)
- 1⁄4 cup soymilk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Melt 2/3 cup chocolate chips over a double boiler or in microwave, your choice.
- In a large mixing bowl combine bluberry spreadable fruit, soy milk, sugar, canola oil and extracts.
- Mix on high until no large clumps are visible, about 2-3 minutes.
- Sift in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir until well mixed, batter will be thick.
- Mix in melted chocolate.
- Fold in remaining 1/2 cup of whole chocolate chips and fresh blueberries.
- Spread batter in baking pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- Toothpick test is null and void here because the whole chocolate chips will stick anyway!
- Remove from oven and let cool.
For taste I would give it three stars, but since it is a Vegan recipe I gave it an extra star for not having eggs or butter. Also used strawberry jam and extra blueberries (frozen). Will make again, altering not to be vegan as all the oil makes it a bit greasy.
These brownies are fantastic. I never would've thought that blueberries belonged in brownies, but they do! These are actually fudgy brownies, NOT cakey like so many other vegan brownies I've tried that claimed to be fudgy. In fact, I made these brownies just to prove the title wrong, but I was pleasantly surprised. I'm gonna try switching out the blueberry spreadable fruit with cherry spreadable fruit and the fresh blueberries for fresh pitted and halved cherries next time. I recommend getting the whole cookbook, Veganomicon, that these came from.
Thanks for the recipe.... the brownies are scrumptious. I used raspberries and raspberry preserves instead of blueberry for both and it worked well too!