Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are based on the brownies my mom made when we were little, but I "veganized" them so I can continue to enjoy them every once in a while now! One of the best comfort food desserts out there and you only have to muck up one mixing bowl. NOTE: I have been playing around with this recipe in search of the perfect vegan brownie. I've changed the recipe from the one I had originally posted - these brownies and dense and fudgy, the closest I've come to a "real" brownie!
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- Preheat oven to 350 C and spray an 8x8 baking dish with baking spray.
- Put ingredients in large mixing bowl in order given.
- Beat with whisk just until smooth.
- Pour into pan and bake for about 22-25 minutes - timing depends on the size of pan used and how hot oven is, so watch carefully after about 20 minutes!
These didn't turn out for me at all. I followed the recipe and used a 9x13 pan. They didn't rise and had a pool of oil on top of them. I had to throw them out. If these have turned out for other people, I'm not sure what went wrong.
Good dense brownies. I loved that they used no butter as I was out. I frosted them and added some crushed peppermint candies for a festive treat!