Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
this comes from cooking light and is a quick light moist cake
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon softened butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- preheat oven to 350.
- mix cocoa and water, set aside to cool.
- combine flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl, stirring well.
- place sugar, shortening, and vanilla in a large bowl, beat well or use a mixer add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- beat in cocoa mixture.
- add flour and buttermilk alternatly, beating after each addition.
- spray a 13x9 baking dish with non stick spray.
- pour in batter, bake for 30 minutes until cake springs back.
- cool in pan 10 minutes.
- for icing stir sugar and cocoa, mix well.
- add milk, butter and vanilla, whisk until smooth.
- spread over cake.
I served this up for dessert tonight and we all enjoyed this cake! Not too sweet and easy to make. I didn't have buttermilk so I substituted a little sour cream mixed with water. Thanks chia!