Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook4 hrs 40 mins
One of our holiday favorites. I think this came from Taste of Home. Awesome. Cook time includes chill time.
- 1 9" unbaked pie shell
- 1 (4 ounce) package German sweet chocolate
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 (4 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup Cool Whip
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil.
- Bake at 450°F for 5 minutes.
- Remove foil and set shell aside.
- Reduce heat to 375°F.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt chocolate and butter.
- Remove from heat; stir in milk and water.
- Add a small amount of hot chocolate mixture to eggs; return all to pan.
- Stir in vanilla and salt.
- Pour into shell; sprinkle with nuts.
- Cover edges of crust with foil.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until tests done.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, beat milk and pudding mix until smooth.
- Fold in Cool Whip.
- Spread over nut layer; cover and refrigerate.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar and vanilla, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread over pudding layer.
- Refrigerate until set, about 4 hours.
OMG, this chocolate pie was awesome. The fudgy layer had a creamy, intense choclate flavor. The cream layer was sweet and rich, too. I liked the real whipped cream topping. A chocolate lover's dream. I made this for Christmas and should have made two, because it went so fast and was the most popular of all the desserts I served. Thank-you, Nurse Di.