Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A plain white cake from a mix can be boring. This cake is anything but boring! The richness of peanut butter combined with fudgy chocolate and topped off with chocolate sauce is divine. The espresso adds to the richness of the chocolate flavour and the applesauce creates a moist cake without extra added fat.
- 510.29 g package reduced-fat white cake mix or 510.29 g package reduced-sugar white cake mix
Peanut Butter Batter
- 78.07 ml peanut butter
- 1 egg white
- 118.29 ml applesauce
- 44.37 ml milk
- 44.37 ml sugar-free chocolate syrup
- 59.14 ml cocoa
- 1 egg white
- 88.74 ml applesauce
- 118.29 ml espresso or 118.29 ml very strong brewed coffee, cooled
- sugar-free chocolate syrup
- Double check to make sure the cake mix you have chosen makes one 9”x13” cake. Separate the cake mix into 2 equal halves by weight in two separate bowls, using a food scale.
- Peanut Butter Batter: To one bowl containing one half of the cake mix, add the peanut butter, egg white, applesauce and milk. Stir until well mixed.
- Chocolate Batter: To the other bowl containing the other half of the cake mix, add the chocolate syrup, cocoa, egg white, applesauce and espresso or very strong coffee. Stir until well mixed.
- Spray a 9"x13"baking pan with cooking spray. Pour peanut butter batter into pan by pouring 8 "blobs" of batter in a checker like pattern. Add the chocolate batter by pouring sections of batter in each spot on the pan that doesn't not have peanut butter batter. Using a bread knife swirl your knife through the batter to create a swirled effect.
- Bake in the oven at 350F for 25-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once cool cut cake with a non-serrated knife. This will ensure minimal crumbs.
I didn't make this but it was served to me topped with chocolate syrup and no sugar vanilla yogurt on the side. It makes a very pretty presentation. The chocolate syrup was listed in the ingredient list but not in the instructions so it was drizzled over the cake and yogurt. It was very moist and a delicious ending for any meal. Good luck in RSC.
This cake was not only fun to make, it was also very tasty. I really like peanut butter and cholocate so this cake had it all. The directions didn't mention adding the chocolate syrup topping so I just drizzled it over the top of the cake pieces when I served it with ice cream. However, I think I like the taste better without the topping because the cake itself is really very moist. Good luck in RSC.