Recipe by PsychoCasseroleStepmom
I got this recipe from the Cooking During Stolen Moments blog at stolenmomentscooking.com where I have found many wonderful recipes. It is a little complicated but definitely worth the effort and you can cut these bars into very small pieces because they are so rich and delicious and dense! Whenever I bring these to an event I always get asked for the recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
For Base and Topping
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter (crunchy or creamy)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups quick oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all filling ingredients in small saucepan and cook over low heat. Stir occasionally until everything is melted and combined. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together sugars and butters until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; mix until combined.
- Stir in flour, 1 1/2 cups oats, baking soda and salt. Work in remaining 1 cup of oats with hands or a spoon.
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups oats mixture for the topping.
- Press the remaining oats mixture into a greased 13 x 9 baking dish. Pour fudgy filling on top. Crumble reserved oats mixture and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, until top is lightly browned. Cool and then refrigerate to firm completely.