Recipe by Sandi Ritchey
A co-worker made this with fresh zucchini out of her garden. I loved the combination of chocolate and orange and the zucchini made it extra moist. My husband who only eats chocolate desserts, and hates zucchini, loved it. From the "The City Gardener's Cook Book".
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 cups grated zucchini
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, milk and vanilla to the butter mixture.
- Stir in dry ingredients and mix until blended.
- Fold in zucchini, orange zest and nuts.
- Pour into a greased and floured bundt pan.
- Bake 50-60 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool for 15 minutes before turning out onto a rack.
- To make glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, orange juice and vanilla.
- Drizzle over warm cake.