Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
A co-worker made this with fresh zucchini out of her garden. I loved the combination of chocolate and orange and the zucchini made it extra moist. My husband who only eats chocolate desserts, and hates zucchini, loved it. From the "The City Gardener's Cook Book".
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 cups grated zucchini
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, milk and vanilla to the butter mixture.
- Stir in dry ingredients and mix until blended.
- Fold in zucchini, orange zest and nuts.
- Pour into a greased and floured bundt pan.
- Bake 50-60 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool for 15 minutes before turning out onto a rack.
- To make glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, orange juice and vanilla.
- Drizzle over warm cake.
Absolutely the wrong amount of flour. I ruined a perfectly good expensive cake using this recipe.
If you like zucchini cake and chocolate, this is tops! Won 1st at Oregon State Fair and came in second in the Hershey Chococlate Contest 2001
I just found this recipe at another source, and the measurements and amounts are identical to this recipe, EXCEPT that the amount stated for the flour is 2 1/2 cups, NOT the amount listed here.