Recipe by honeybeecook
This is one of my mother's recipes, and I absolutely love the taste the wheat germ adds!
Top Review by Gruenes
These brownies are okay. A little on the dry side, not what I was expecting. I baked mine in a glass pan at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, as the inside what just not getting done. I don't think we will be making these again. Sorry:o(
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 5 tablespoons margarine
- 3⁄4 cup tbsps quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (I use Splenda)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 8X8X2 inch pan.
- Melt chocolate with margarine in small heavy saucepan over very low heat or in double boiler.
- Remover from heat; blend. Reserve.
- Combine oats, wheat germ, nonfat dry milk, baking poder, salt (you can add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts if you like) in medium size bowl. Mix well. Reserve.
- Beat eggs in medium size bowl until light.
- Gradually beat in both sugars and vanilla until mixture is thick.
- Stir in chocolate mixture; fold in oat mixture. Spread batter in pan.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean and the top is crips and edges firm.
- Cool in pan on rack. Cover with foil, and refrigerate overnight.