Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Taste of Home magazine. Brownies with a rich crunchy oat crust.
- 1 (19 ounce) box brownie mix
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 unsweetened chocolate squares
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 -4 tablespoons hot water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- In a bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt, then stir in butter until combined.
- Press into ungreased 13x9 baking pan.
- Bake at 350 for 10-11 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- While baking, make brownies as directed on the box.
- Spread batter over baked crust and bake 25-30 minutes longer, or until tests done.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat, stir until smooth.
- Remove from the heat; immediately stir in powdered sugar, vanilla and 2 Tbs water until smooth.
- Add the remaining water; stir until smooth and immediately spread over warm brownies.
- Cool until firm, then cut into bars.