Top Review by Annacia
My brownies came out on the flat side. I take full responsibility for that as I replaced the sugar with Splenda leaving the recipe nothing to use as "building blocks". I used espresso coffee powder, Dutch cocoa and bittersweet chocolate. The single only thing that keeps it from being a 5 star rating is that the 1/2 cup of applesauce came through quite clearly. They are very moist and they do taste good and I love the walnuts. I skipped the powdered sugar. Thanks Paula.
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa (Dutch Process if you have it.)
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans, toasted, chopped
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 deg.; line the inside of an 8" baking pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the chocolate, butter, cocoa and coffee granules in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high power, until melted; stir every 45 seconds of cooking time.
- Stir in sugar, applesauce and egg whites.
- In a small bowl mix together the flour, salt and baking powder until thoroughly combined, stir into chocolate mixture just until mixed well.
- Fold in toasted nuts and pour the batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool brownies in the pan, then life out and remove the foil.
- Cut into 12 bars and dust lightly with powdered sugar.