Prep 10 mins
Cook 22 mins
For me, there is nothing better than the pairing of chocolate and coffee. These brownies are big on flavor and lower in fat compared to many recipes. This recipe is from Cooking Light magazine. I don't know the issue or date.
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup toffee pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat bottom and sides of 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. (I don't have a 9-inch baking dish, I used an 8X8 glass dish, and it worked for us since we like our brownies a little wet, we think it's more decadent that way!).
- Combine coffee and hot water and stir until coffee is dissolved.
- Combine butter and chocolate chips in microwaveable dish and heat on high for 1 minute until butter melts, then stir until this mixture is smooth.
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Combine coffee mixture, butter mixture, vanilla and eggs in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Add coffee mixture with flour mixture; stir just until combined.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle evenly with toffee chips.
- Bake at 350F for 22 minutes, cool on wire rack. Cut into squares when competely cooled. We like to refrigerate them before cutting.
Made these for a pot luck today and to quote one of the participants "Mmm mmm I could go into chocolate over load with these" I made using special dark cocoa powder, whole wheat flour and two crushed Heath Bars for the toffee pieces. Thanks for the post.
Oooey gooey and delicious ! As we cannot get toffee bits I used chunky bits of fudge on top. I did cook them for 10 minutes longer and got a perfect brownie texture.
Made these this afternoon for girls night and they were a huge hit. I cheated a touch and like Nonnie4Two I added toffee bits in the batter as well. The girls all loved them. The only reason for 4 stars instead of 5 is that they were a tad wet for my taste. I tend to like a cakier brownie.