Recipe by txzuckerbaeckerin
Traditionally, Jewish children receive chocolate coins (gelt) for Hanukkah. This is a wonderful recipe to mint your own. Please use only unsalted butter, as the recipe is well balanced. Cooking time includes chilling and remelting time.
- 1 lb semisweet chocolate
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (pure)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Chop chocolate.
- In a double boiler, combine all ingredients, stir until melted and well blended, about 10 minutes.
- Spread chocolate mix onto prepared sheet about 1/3" thick.
- Let cool 5 minutes.
- With a 1 1/2" round Hanukkah cutter, cut out "gelt".
- Place on waxed sheet and chill for 15 minutes to harden.
- Re-melt leftover and repeat the process.