1/1 Photo of Fudgy Deluxe Chocolate Cake
The only chocolate cake recipe I ever use. Very dense, moist, fudgey and rich! Works for me every time. The super fudgey frosting totally makes it. I've also made it in a 9 x 13 pan and it worked great. I've tried it with dark brown sugar and it was delicious. I've tried using butter instead of margarine, but the cake didn't seem to hold together quite as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 2 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1THE CAKE:.
- 2Preheat the oven to 350.
- 3Grease and flour two 9" round pans. (I line the bottoms with parchment or wax paper because I'm paranoid, but not necessary).
- 4Melt chocolate in microwave and set aside to cool.
- 5Mix flour, soda, and salt and set aside.
- 6Beat the margarine in a mixer until it's soft
- 7Add brown sugar and eggs and beat until light and fluffy (about 5 min.).
- 8Beat in vanilla and cooled melted chocolate.
- 9Mix in sour cream and dry ingredients alternately, and then beat well.
- 10Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin and runny).
- 11Pour batter into pans evenly, and bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out cleanly.
- 12Allow to cool on a rack for 10 minutes, and then remove from pans.
- 13Allow cakes to cool completely, and then frost.
- 14SUPER FUDGEY FROSTING:.
- 15Melt chocolate and butter together ( I microwave it) and allow to cool
- 16Combine milk, vanilla, and confectioner's sugar in a mixer and mix on low.
- 17Add melted butter and chocolate.
- 18Whip until frosting is of spreading consistency.(If butter/chocolate mixture is still warm, it takes a bit of time to set up).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fudgy Deluxe Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (159 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 666.0
- Calories from Fat 267
- Total Fat 29.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 83.0 mg
- Sodium 503.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 77.1 g
- Protein 6.9 g