The only chocolate cake recipe I ever use. Very dense, moist, fudgey and rich! Works for me every time. The super fudgey frosting totally makes it. I've also made it in a 9 x 13 pan and it worked great. I've tried it with dark brown sugar and it was delicious. I've tried using butter instead of margarine, but the cake didn't seem to hold together quite as well.
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 1⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- THE CAKE:.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Grease and flour two 9" round pans. (I line the bottoms with parchment or wax paper because I'm paranoid, but not necessary).
- Melt chocolate in microwave and set aside to cool.
- Mix flour, soda, and salt and set aside.
- Beat the margarine in a mixer until it's soft
- Add brown sugar and eggs and beat until light and fluffy (about 5 min.).
- Beat in vanilla and cooled melted chocolate.
- Mix in sour cream and dry ingredients alternately, and then beat well.
- Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin and runny).
- Pour batter into pans evenly, and bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out cleanly.
- Allow to cool on a rack for 10 minutes, and then remove from pans.
- Allow cakes to cool completely, and then frost.
- SUPER FUDGEY FROSTING:.
- Melt chocolate and butter together ( I microwave it) and allow to cool
- Combine milk, vanilla, and confectioner's sugar in a mixer and mix on low.
- Add melted butter and chocolate.
- Whip until frosting is of spreading consistency.(If butter/chocolate mixture is still warm, it takes a bit of time to set up).