Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Gooseberry Patch Come On Over.
Top Review by mandabears
this cake was amazing! i made it for synagogue and it never made it out of the house. chocolate and raspberries is the best combination ever! and it starts with a cake mix too. the cake was moist and the raspberry flavor was subtle, but not too subtle.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the cake: In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, water, oil, eggs, vanilla, and sour cream; beat batter using an electric mixer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly between 3 buttered 8" round cake pans.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 25 minutes or until ceters test done.
- Cool cakes in pans for 15 minutes; turn cakes out of pans and cool completely.
- To make the frosting: Bring the raspberry jam and butter to a simmer in a saucepan over med heat; remove pan from heat.
- Immediately stir in chocolate chips; stir until melted.
- Mix in sour cream and powdered sugar; beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- To assemble cake: place one layer on a serving platter and frost; add second layer and frost; repeat with third layer, frosting top and sides of cake.