Recipe by MizzNezz
This is not an overly sweet cake. This is very much a chocolate cake! Delicious!
Top Review by BrendaGNGa
I love this recipe. The cake is very intensely chocolate but NOT overly sweet. I gave some to my Mom who felt the same way - she said I should make this cake all the time. Even the fudgy drippy icing was great, maybe the next time I'll let it firm up some before putting it up the cake.
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs (at room temperature)
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups chocolate chips (I use semi-sweet)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350*; grease and flour 2 9inch cake pans.
- In sm saucepan, melt butter and chocolate, stirring, over low heat.
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt in lg mixer bowl.
- Add melted chocolate, buttermilk and eggs.
- Beat on low to combine; beat on high until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Pour into cake pans.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until cakes test done.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes; invert onto wire rack.
- Frosting: Bring cream JUST to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips.
- Stir until frosting is smooth and starts to thicken.
- Place 1/3 cup on bottom layer.
- Top with second layer; frost top and sides.