Recipe by Wildflour
A chocolate lover's dream!!!!!!!!!!!!
Top Review by Sara 76
OMG! What an awesome cake! I made this for hubby's birthday, and got rave reviews! I made double frosting, so I could cover the sides, and it was best served from the fridge. A truly awesome recipe, that will be my staple choccie cake recipe from now on!
- 414.03 ml flour
- 236.59 ml minus 1 tbl. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6.16 ml baking soda
- 0.59 ml salt
- 177.44 ml butter (or 1 1/2 sticks)
- 158.51 ml sugar
- 158.51 ml firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- 354.88 ml buttermilk
Frosting and Garnish
- 118.29 ml butter, softened
- 236.59 ml powdered sugar, sifted after measuring
- 85.04 g unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- chocolate shavings (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Line bottoms of two 9" round cake pans with waxed paper.
- Grease paper and sides of pan.
- Dust with flour, set aside.
- In bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, soda and salt til mixed.
- In large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugars at medium-speed til light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla.
- On low speed, alternately beat in flour mixture and buttermilk just til blended.
- Divide batter equally into prepared pans.
- Bake in 350 oven for 25-30 minutes, or til a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Turn cakes out onto racks.
- Remove waxed paper.
- Turn layers top-side up, and cool completely.
- Beat butter and powdered sugar on medium speed til light and fluffy.
- Add melted chocolate and vanilla.
- Continue beating til shiny and smooth.
- Place one cake onto serving platter.
- Spread with frosting.
- Top with remaining cake layer.
- Frost top and sides.
- Let cake stand for 30 minutes before topping with chocolate shavings, and before slicing.