Recipe by Laura2of7
I found this recipe at Food & Wine recently. It looks very good and perfect for when I've run out of powdered sugar. I'm posting it to get the nutritional values (some people always ask) and so that I don't lose it before I've tried it. Please let me know if you like it.
- 1 1⁄3 cups heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter (5 ounces)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, bring the cream and sugar to a boil over moderately high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid reduces slightly, about 6 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a medium bowl and add the chocolate, butter, vanilla and salt. Let stand, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate and butter are melted.
- Set the bowl in a larger bowl of ice water. Using a hand-held electric mixer, beat the frosting on medium speed, scraping the sides occasionally with a rubber spatula, until thick and glossy, about 5 minutes.
- Use at once.