Recipe by Manami
Found on Goosecross Cellars Recipe for Napa Valley Cabernet. Provided by Rich Harris, SF, Ca, a Goosecross Customer. These are so good! I don't think they are as good with the semisweet chocolate as they are with the bittersweet chocolate. We used the Ghirardelli 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking bars, we are baking a lot of cookies, brownies, and bars, now so that we can test many recipes for our Thanksgiving or Christmas cookie trays. Temperatures will vary we are using a commercial-size ovens.
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 8 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate, we used Ghirardelli 60% cacao (not unsweetened)
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 1⁄4 teaspoons instant espresso powder or 3 1⁄4 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups chopped toasted pecans (We used pecans) or 1 1⁄4 toasted walnuts (We used pecans)
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened, we used, Ghiarrdelli 60% cacao) or 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped into chunks
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 350ºF.
- Butter 13x9x2" glass baking dish.
- Melt first three ingredients in heavy medium-sized saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth.
- Remove from heat and let cool 10 minutes.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into medium bowl.
- Using mixer, beat sugar, eggs, espresso powder and vanilla in large bowl until just blended.
- Add melted chocolate mixture and beat until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients and stir just until blended.
- Fold in nuts and 6 oz coarsely chopped chocolate.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Smmoth top.
- Bake until top looks dry and tester inserted into center comes out clean with moist crumbs attached, about 25-30 minutes.
- Transfer pan to rack and cool completely.
- Cut into squares and serve.
- **These brownies can be made a day or two ahead. Just cover, each square, with foil or in airtight container and store at room temperature.