Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a quick coffeecake to stir together. I have rhubarb in my garden and combining it with chocolate is a favorite of mine. The cherries and pecans give the coffeecake a chewy and crunchy addition.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 2⁄3 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced rhubarb
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried cherries
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- Whisk together brown sugar, honey, oil, egg, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Stir together dry ingredients and add to oil mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Add fruit and pecans, spread batter into well greased 13 x 9 baking pan.
- Bake in a 375º for 25-30 minutes or until top is firm and cake starts to pull away from sides of the pan.
- Serve warm with powdered sugar sprinkled over the top.
- Yield: 15 servings.
This recipe was excellent. The texture of the cake was light and tasty. I did not find dried cherries, but I found canned sour cherries which I used. I had some crushed pecans and made up the balance with chopped walnuts. I did not get the chewy or crunchy part in my cake but that could be because I did not have "dried" cherries, and not enough pecans. I had a warm piece with ice cream and it was great. I did not bake the cake at 375 defF(its a little to high for a convection oven), but did it at 350 degF and baked it a little longer.