The texture is very chewy rather than cake-like. The almond and chocolate flavors blend well. Nowadays I melt the chocolate & butter in the microwave.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Cream 1/2 cup of the butter with the sugar.
- Add the eggs and beat until light.
- Stir in the vanilla and almond extract.
- Melt the rest of the butter with the chocolate in the top of a double boiler; cool and beat into the first mixture.
- Add the flour and salt and mix well.
- Pour batter into a greased, floured 13 X 9 inch pan and bake 45 minutes.
- Cool in the pan and cut into 42 squares by making 5 slices across and 6 slices lengthwise.