Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Vegetarian Times September 2008, these are delicious brownies, that just happen to be vegan. But if you don't tell, no one will know, they are terrific! Feel free to add nuts or other goodies. You'll make these a bunch, so try something different each time. I've also made them in a mini muffin pan topped with red/green M&Ms for Christmas.
- 177.44 ml whole wheat pastry flour (plain flour works fine too)
- 59.14 ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 0.59 ml baking powder
- 0.59 ml baking soda
- 0.59 ml salt
- 59.14 ml chocolate chips
- 59.14 ml canola oil
- 1 mashed banana (riper the better)
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml plain soymilk (cow's milk works fine too)
- 14.79 ml flax seed meal (optional)
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat 9-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl.
- Melt chocolate chips with canola oil in double boiler, stirring until smooth. (Or heat in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth.).
- Remove from heat, and whisk in banana and sugar.
- Combine soymilk, flaxseed meal, and vanilla in measuring cup, then fold into chocolate mixture.
- Stir chocolate mixture into flour mixture until just combined, then spread in prepared baking pan.
- (If topping with M&Ms, sprinkle them on now.).
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted 2 inches from side of pan comes out dry, but middle is still soft.
- Cool in pan on wire rack, then cut into 16 squares.
DH said, "Mmmh! They're GOOD! You woudn't know they had been made from whole wheat flour and flax seed." (Never mind that they're vegan, and have a banana in them...) They were super easy to make, and I added a good sprinking of white/dark swirled chocolate chips on top for colour. These will definately be made again and again! Thanks to WICC for posting this awesome recipe, and to Magpie Diner, for putting it in her Best of 2010 so I could tag it!
FANTASTIC, gooey, chocolaty bliss! I would certainly make these again. I cannot believe they are vegan! They are sincerely the best brownie that I, personally, have ever made. I subbed 1/2 of the sugar out with Splenda and added the flax meal option. I also used white whole wheat flour. Topped mine off with just a sprinkle of powdered sugar for color and we were good to go! A MUST TRY recipe! Thanks for sharing :)
I have a two and a half year old and a four year old who love to cook with me. This was a great recipe for them as they got to mash, wisk, measure and stir. I also love that they could lick the spoons after we finished as there are no eggs in the recipe. They really enjoyed eating them as their Valentine treat!